Friday, February 6, 2009

NERD GIRL

You know when I was in elementary, middle, high school, I was, by most definitions, pretty nerdy. My nerd-dom gave me some grief. Now, feeling like I can accomplish nerdness in college at my age makes me really happy.
I am glad I still "got it".

I have to pat myself on the back that school is going great so far. I know it will get harder but after being out of school for so long and wanting to go back so many times over the last 10 years, I really needed this great start. I have worried for a very long time if I could perform at this level after being away for SO long. Starting off so well is really getting me motivated for this trek.

Math - Let me say that even in high school, mathematics was my academic weakness. For some reason, my brain just never has let me work with numbers very easily. I have 4 math classes that I have to take total. I began one at the beginning of January online. I scooted right through that because I could move at my own pace and finished the entire course. Midterm and Final. Nerd girl got a 98. Who hooo!!!! My math professor went ahead and let me sign up for another math class this term so I can actually knock out 2 maths in the same term. Again, I am doing this one online. It is not coming quite as easily as the first class but I have completed 24 lessons online and am ready to take my mid-term. I cannot take 3 math classes this term. I asked. So, I have until May to finish this one. I plan to go ahead and finish it up in February so it frees up more time for me in spring since the kids have lots of sports and activities going on. Who knew I had an inner math nerd hidden deep inside? (I do NOT think I am of the Mathlete caliber that my brother in law and kiddos are though)
Sociology - A very interesting class with a rather "eclectic" professor. I am taking this class with lots of youngsters. I certainly feel so old in there but last night, I got nerd glory when my professor wrote 2 names on the board - the 2 students who made a 100 on her exam. Where I would have been embarrassed by this in high school, I was thrilled to see my name on the board last night. It's funny how acing that exam made me a bunch of friends. When I left, I got invited to some study groups for the next test with all of the youngsters. As Chet put it last night "What do you need with a study group? You are doing fine on your own." Funny how people want to be the old nerd girl's friend now, huh? Just kidding, everyone in there is really nice and have been super cool to me. They know how long I have been out of school. I am the only one there with kids. A couple of people are married. But no one in there is even in their 30s so I am the grandma at 36.

I am really glad that it has gone so well so far. Chet has been SO supportive and helpful. He has had to step up a lot with the kids’ activities and hasn’t missed a beat. Thank you so much Chester!!!! I couldn't do this without you. The kiddos are great. They have been good to offer their "help" and be patient with me being away at class 2 nights a week. My family makes my life so much better.

2 comments:

Jennifer (mom of four) said...

Great job on all your good grades. What does Chet think being married to the All A student?

Busy Dad Mumbles said...

Congrats on your grades. Embrace your nerdness. Remember most of the cool kids now work for the nerds. Look at Bill Gates.